Online poker is one of the world’s most fascinating casino games. Online poker is a game that players can play for fun. Players who would like to play the game for fun can do so for free as there are many free-to-play poker games at many online casinos. Low rollers that are, players who would like to play the game casually but hoping to scoop some payouts every now and then can easily do so as there are several poker games that accept the smallest of stakes- sometimes even pennies! At the same time, online poker is a game that can wholly transform the fortunes of players. This happens when players choose to play the game professionally. All folks who follow online gambling news must at one point or the other hear about players who play poker professionally that is, poker to them is a full-time job. Some of these players participate in high roller poker tournaments where millions are up for grabs!
The accommodative nature of poker necessitated by its ability to accept casual players and professional players makes it highly popular amongst casino players. Its against this background that online poker ranks as one of the most popular casino games. Well, to all folks who would like to give online poker a try whether as casual players or pro players, this online poker guideline comes in handy to you as it details all you need to know about poker from the basic game rules to top winning tips and strategies.
Top 6 Best Casino Bonuses and Promotions
What is Online Poker
Simply put, online poker is a card game of poker that players play over the internet. Online poker comes in different variants. There are literally dozens of online poker variants that players can try out at various online casinos. Though there exist dozens of online poker variants, the main objective when playing any online poker game is the same. The objective entails building the best possible hand that outranks the competitors’ hands or forces, competitors, out of the game.
When playing online poker, players are dealt cards by the dealer’s face down. Afterward, betting rounds will ensue. During the betting rounds, the player must strive to build the best possible hand. At the end of the gaming session, players compare their hands, and the player with the best-ranking hand wins. Poker hand rankings are largely similar when it comes to many online poker variants. There are just a few variants that have different poker hand rankings.
Apart from building the best possible hand, players may win the game by forcing fellow players out of the game. this is largely achieved through bluffing – bluffing entails placing a bet that deceives the opponent into a fold. A bluff makes the opponent think that they may potentially lose big if they continue playing the game hence, they opt out of the game before incurring huge losses.
Online Poker Wagers
Most people get to know about online poker when they hear or read news about players who win/lose millions of dollars. In recent times, poker tournaments such as the WSOP have done much in making online poker feel like a game of the big boys only. However, this isn’t the case. Online poker accommodates all types of players. High rollers indeed can enjoy the game as there are many high roller best online casino Singapore site that offer high buy-ins for poker tournaments. However, there are also other tournaments that suit the low rollers. There are a high number of online casinos where players can even enter tournaments with just $1!
Most Popular Online Poker Variants
Like we said before, online poker comes with dozens of variants. Amongst these, there are some games that are most popular with players. Below is a rundown of the most popular online poker variants.
- Texas Hold ‘em
- Pot-Limit Omaha
- 7 Card Stud
- 5 Card Stud
- Short Deck Hold ‘em
- Chinese Poker
Online Poker Tournaments
A huge proportion of online poker players were attracted to the game by online poker tournaments. The desire to become the next millionaire poker player lured many players to try out online poker. Well, on this front, players ought to note that there are various online poker tournaments they can partake in. players also ought to note that its not always the case that they have to part with thousands in order to partake in poker tournaments. Even with just a few dollars, its possible to partake in lucrative poker tournaments. Below, we expose the main types of online poker tournaments.
- Multi-table Tournaments: These are the big tournaments that are often widely publicised. These include the World Series of Poker, European Poker Tour and World Poker Tour. These tournaments run for weeks and oftentimes, players must start from the beginning to have a chance of competing in the finale where thousands or sometimes millions are up for grabs.
- Sit & Gos: These are small poker tournaments offered at most online poker sites. Players grab a seat when they pay their buy-in fee. Once the required number of players is reached, the game starts. The prize pool for these tournaments vary from time to time as most of them are run on a pari-mutuel basis.
- Cash Games: Cash games sometimes referred to as ring games are the most popular type of online poker tournaments for casual players. Players simply buy in with a stipulated amount – receive real money chips and proceed to play the game. there is no need to wait for other players here, once you buy-in, you can start playing the game.
Online Poker Hand Rankings
The general poker hand rankings is as follows in descending order:
- Royal Flush: A hand consisting of A, K, Q, J, 10 all of the same suit
- Straight Flush: A hand consisting of five cards e.g. 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 – all in the same suit
- Four of a Kind: A hand consisting of four cards of the same rank e.g. four Jacks
- Full House: A hand consisting of three of a kind and a pair
- Flush: A hand consisting of any five cards of the same suit but not in a sequence
- Straight: A hand consisting of five cards in a sequence but not of the same suit
- Three of a Kind: A hand consisting of three cards of the same rank
- Two Pair: A hand consisting of two different pairs
- Pair: A hand consisting of two cards of the same rank
- High Card: A card with the highest value if none of the above exists
Online poker is one of the most popular casino games that players may try out. this is a skill-based game that also incorporates elements of chance/luck. To master the game, it’s important that players take time to go through various online poker winning tips and strategies readily available online. However, the best tip for all players is to practice, practice and keep practicing. Players can practice the game for free at several online casinos that offer freerolls.